How to use Instagram Live Instagram Live is more than just a way to broadcast content. You’ll reach the “Stories” section of the app from here. At the bottom of the screen, you’ll see the number of users viewing your video. Let your customers see the real personality in your brand. One way to promote an Instagram Live stream is with Instagram Stories. You can get a sense of how many people viewed or interacted with the Stories you’ve used to promote the upcoming Live stream. Next to the “Start Live Video” button, or the comments section when you start streaming, there’s a small smiley face icon. Play around with these filters as much as you like during streaming, to make the video more exciting. A great way to boost your viewership is to promise one-time-only promotions while you’re building hype for your stream. Alternatively, show your customers something they won’t see anywhere else.
Ready to get #InstaFamous?
The era of live video is officially here to stay.
As audiences search for more intimacy from their favorite brands, live content has an authenticity that can’t be duplicated. That’s part of the reason why 80% of customers say they’d rather watch a live video from a company than read their blog.
At the same time, the ephemeral nature of live video prompts the phenomena of “FOMO” in your audience. When people are scared of missing out, they’re more likely to sit up and pay attention.
In a world driven by raw and engaging visuals, what better social channel to turn to than Instagram?
Why brands need an Instagram Live strategy
Instagram officially reached 1 billion monthly active users in June 2018.
It’s easily one of the most popular social channels around, and a fantastic way to connect with the millennial demographic. Most Instagram users are between 18 and 29 years old.
Instagram Live is just one of the more recent features to appear in Instagram’s portfolio and it has a lot of benefits to offer, including:
- Newsfeed priority: Thanks to Instagram’s algorithm, posting a live video will place you at the head of your followers’ feeds. If you’re looking for a way to stay top-of-mind when your fans open their app, this is it.
- Increased engagement: With Instagram Live, companies respond immediately to client issues, answer questions and host valuable discussions with their followers. Forming these real-time connections are all the more important when you consider the power of the platform – 32% of teenagers consider Instagram to be the most crucial social network.
- Build relationships: Just like in real life, the more you engage in authentic face-to-face interactions with your followers, the more they’ll trust you. Instagram Live mimics the bonding potential of in-person interactions.
- Better brand identity: Instagram Live is an excellent way for brands to demonstrate their individuality. Filters, themes and inspirational content all bring a company’s personality to life.
How to use Instagram Live
Instagram Live is more than just a way to broadcast content.
Used correctly, your Instagram Live strategy gives you a mode of interacting with existing followers and attracting new ones. It’s a powerful feature for companies that want to connect in an immersive way.
So, how do you get started?
Step 1: Starting your video
To launch your live video, open the Instagram app and either swipe right or click on the camera in the top left corner. You’ll reach the “Stories” section of the app from here.
At the bottom of the page, you’ll see a carousel of options, including:
- Boomerang – a looping gif created from a reel of photos.
- Rewind – videos that play in reverse
- Hands-free – A 15-second button-free video
- Normal – regular videos or photos
Scroll along until you find “Live,” this will give you a big white button to hit when you want to start your stream. You can also switch which camera is enabled by tapping on the arrows to the right of the button.
Step 2: Configuring your video
Before you start officially broadcasting anything, visit the Instagram Story settings by hitting the gear icon in the top left corner. By default, Instagram streams Live content publicly and allows comments from anyone. The Instagram Story page enables you to control these settings. You might choose to limit replies to followers only or hide your video from specific users.
Once an Instagram Live video ends, it won’t appear on your news feed unless you toggle “Save Shared Photos” on. This saves your content to the Stories section of the app, where you can share them with your audience.
Once you’re finished your edits, click on “Start Live Video.”
Managing your Instagram Live videos
Once the camera’s rolling and the app is streaming your video feed, it’s worth knowing how to manage your content.
Instagram will notify followers that you’re live. It’s a good idea to do some promoting beforehand to ensure your audience has made time for your stream. You’ll be able to tell that your stream is running by the little pink “Live” icon in the top left corner. If you tap that icon, you’ll also see how long…